The role develops, implements and evolves the APAC Regional Plan in line with ICANN’s Strategic Plan. Assists the VP of Stakeholder Engagement in cross-functional coordination, overseeing the regional office’s overall engagement plans and activities. Provides strategic insight in engagement and organisational development.
Maintaining an extensive network of key stakeholders in the region, partners with key stakeholders to expand ICANN’s presence and deepen its engagement in the region, contributing to the development of the ICANN APAC Regional Office as a key member of the APAC Internet Governance ecosystem.
The scope of work also includes public and government affairs, including monitoring issues of importance to ICANN and its stakeholders. Communicates well on ICANN and technical/technology issues as an ICANN representative.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, have an interest in technology, enjoys working hard and being continually challenged.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Assist the VP, Stakeholder Engagement – APAC, to develop, implement and refine the APAC Regional Plan in consultation with the APAC Community, in line with the ICANN Strategic Plan.
- Lead in cross-functional collaboration and coordination with the relevant teams in ICANN to implement the APAC Regional Plan.
- Drive, and where applicable, initiate key programs/initiatives, partnering relevant teams in ICANN as well as the regional community
- Maintain and establish key relationships with regional stakeholders including government, Domain Name registries and registrars, Internet companies, network operators, academia and civil society.
- Handle relationship management and communication across different stakeholder groups, solving problems and escalating to internal colleagues as needed.
- Advance interests through public education of ICANN, and actively communicate ICANN’s policies and processes to stakeholders.
- Represent ICANN in external engagement, speaking at public policy fora, high tech industry gatherings and Internet community meetings
- Contribute content on ICANN activities on social media and blogs.
- Assist the VP, Stakeholder Engagement – APAC to manage the regional GSE-team’s day-to-day operations. This includes:
- Coordinating with the regional GSE team in project management and reporting design, contributing towards Global Reporting.
- Oversee the analysis of information and data to track regional community participation and activities for the purpose of identifying gaps and trends
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments in the region affecting ICANN and the APAC Community.
- Help the regional GSE and wider APAC team to determine priorities, positions, and strategies in response to these developments to maintain and/or strengthen ICANN’s presence and engagement in the region.
- Other duties as assigned or requested
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs): (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions)
- Exceptional communication and writing skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, including ability to prioritize and manage competing demands on your time
- Ability to facilitate projects across internal departments/functions and project partners designing, proposing and implementing systems and processes where required
- Strong analytical skills, including ability to dive deep on regulations by understanding how legislative and regulatory proposals may impact ICANN’s mission
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural environment with respect for diversity; comfortable with social media
- Comfortable working in ambiguous environments; self-starter that can use good judgment and resourcefulness to take action in the absence of clear guidance
- Keen interest in Domain Name System, emerging technologies, Internet governance, engagement across different stakeholder groups, relationship management, communications
- Knowledge of ICANN, the Internet and the Domain Name System preferred but not required
- Proficiency using MS Office, and keen to learn new software such as Salesforce and other platforms
- Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality and integrity
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required, study in Public Policy, International Affairs, Communications, Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering or a computer related field desired
- Minimum eight (8) years work experience in a multinational business, intergovernmental or international organization.
- Proven cross-divisional management skills for a highly diverse workforce across multiple languages and cultures
- Experience with stakeholder engagement programs, international business organizations or multi-stakeholder policy bodies
- Fluency, both written and spoken, in English is required
- Additional language fluency will be highly advantageous.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- Comfort level with an international work environment that requires availability at times outside normal business hours, seven days per week; frequent travel required
- Work is performed in a normal office environment