This position is responsible for accounting services for month end closing activities and financial statement preparation and reconciliations. In addition, this position is responsible for preparing schedules and analysis in support of the audited financial statements and tax processes. The Senior Accountant will provide subject matter expertise and leadership on all aspects of General Accounting. The position is responsible for performing Accounting duties and for process improvements in accounting processes and GL systems in support of ICANN’s objectives. This position requires an in-depth knowledge of accounting entries and processes and GAAP accounting. This position involves significant amount of interaction with the finance department and externally with department managers and other internal staff.
• Ensure that all accounting transactions are properly recorded in ICANN’s internal and external financial statements in accordance with GAAP for Nonprofit Organizations.
• Perform and lead day-to-day activities for General Ledger accounting, Month End Closing and Accounting analysis including but not limited to preparation and review and approval of all entries to general ledger, prepare accounting reconciliations and analyses of balance sheet and P&L transactions, review of Accounts Payable and Travel and Expense transactions and payment batches and review all global payroll accounting.
• Ensuring accurate and timely General Ledger Financial Reporting, and key internal control processes.
• Participate and Lead the entire month end closing cycle as per the closing calendar and due dates including analysis of financial statement trends and analytics
• Analyze and implement processes if applicable for GAAP accounting pronouncements and tax revisions, develops and communicate recommendations on improvements to departments
• Responsible for preparing and analyzing and reconciling consolidated financial statements for several entities
• Propose accounting treatments as new accounting rules are issued or ICANN’s needs change
• Provide guidance to less experienced staff on appropriate accounting processes
• Responsible for the preparation of interim and year-end audit schedules and coordination of deliverables with an external audit firm. This role is one of the primary points of contact for the annual audited financial statement process
• Responsible for preparing accounting schedules that are inputs into the filing of statutory requirements or legal entity accounting including taxes and tax filings such as the annual Form 990.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
• Strong Accounting closing and GAAP accounting required and experience in not-for-profit accounting a plus
• Experience with ERP Financial Systems required, and with Oracle Fusion a plus.
• Experience in annual audits highly desirable
• Experience in accounting for the full-cycle Month End closing required.
• Desire to help build new processes and seek out and apply best practices and use business process thinking to improve finance functions.
• Ability to work independently and to be accountable for work assignments and the ability to demonstrate good personal judgment and exercise a commitment to ethical conduct required
• Comfortable with shifting priorities and reprioritization while managing tasks and projects like month end closing and annual audit and tax processes.
• Ability to demonstrate leadership and teamwork with a highly motivated and positive demeanor to help ICANN move forward on its goals with an emphasis on cross-departmental cooperation.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related field from an accredited institution required and a master’s degree a plus
• A CPA is desirable and Auditing and Public Accounting experience is a plus
• At least 5-7 years of overall Accounting experience required including 3 years of hands on experience in the month end closing process