As a data-driven, strategic communications agency, we believe our clients become stronger when they leverage the wealth of information consumers provide every day. We are a part of Omincom (NYSE: OMG).
Omnicom Precision Marketing Group (OPMG) aligns Omnicom’s global digital, data and CRM capabilities to deliver precisely targeted and meaningful customer experiences at scale. Using its universal framework of connected data, connected intelligence, and connected experiences, OPMG provides services that include data-driven product / service design, technology strategy and implementation, CRM / loyalty strategy and activation, econometric and attribution modeling, technical and business consulting and digital experience design and development.
JOB SCOPE & PURPOSE
The Manager of Application Development will be part of Targetbase’s Digital organization and play s a hybrid leadership role that is responsible for managing a team of software developers but is also responsible for facilitating daily scrum, sprint planning, sprint demo and retrospective meetings. This role is tasked with increas ing the development team ’s efficiency, motivates the team and argues for changes that will ensure greater throughput, quality and timeliness.
This role requires both technical and business skills that include technical requirements, documentation, and development as part of the complete software development life cycle (SDLC) . The Manager of Application Development ensures the definition of done is being followed and works very closely with multiple Product Owners and the Director of Application Development.
- Provide technical leadership and direction for diverse and complex digital solutions and applications
- Participate in designing, coding, testing, debugging, configuring, and documenting software.
- Work closely with digital architects and developers to implement digital solutions; this includes heavy reuse of existing internal/third-party components
- Participate in digital solution design and architecture reviews and recommend changes to meet business requirements
- Based on business requirements, develops detailed technical requirements; identifies missing details in the business requirements and engages the appropriate resource(s) for clarification
- Reviews technical designs and code to ensure sound decisions are being made.
- Champion and evolve the SDLC to develop, execute, and continuously improve digital development practices and standards in collaboration with all major stakeholder and cross-functional roles.
- Establish plans, policies, and procedures within the digital development group.
- Perform and oversee team activities related to code management and release processes.
- Take an active role in the definition and evolution of digital development standard practices, tools, processes and procedures.
- Identifies cross-competency digital development process needs and assists with the enablement of standard operating procedures within and across client teams
- Provide regular status updates to technology management and to internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate cross-functionally and with all stakeholders, including the client’s technical staff, to optimize and ensure a smooth development process and successful, effective delivery.
- Working closely with Product Owners around ongoing management of the digital development backlog and pipeline
- Assist Project Managers with resource planning and resolution of resource conflicts to ensure completion of projects on time/on budget
- Responsible for the digital development estimation process and contributes to the overall project estimation process
- Work closely with the Quality Assurance group to address requirement questions, remediate failed test cases and correct identified bugs
- Responsible for managing the resolution of production issues assigned to the digital development team
- Onboard, coach and develop the team; creating culture of innovation, collaboration and continual improvement.
- Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the development team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization.
- Must be able to forecast the number of deliverables possible in an iteration based on evidence
- Needs to be expert in estimation and planning and must know how to create useful, reliable and practical plans for software development projects.
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially on grooming and maintaining the product backlog.
- Build a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem-solving.
- Excellent conflict resolution with a focus on scrum values of openness, honesty and respect.
- Assist with both internal and external communication with key stakeholders, improving transparency and radiating information.
- Should be a good coach in Agile practices and coach individuals and interactions over processes and tools.
- Help the team or an individual clarify their goals and necessary actions to achieve them.
- Ability to shield the development team from outside distractions and interferences.
- Removing impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments
- Guiding the team and organization on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values
- Guiding the team on how to get the most of self-organization.
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Leads discussions, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Lead by example and as a servant leader
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills.
- Delivers on time and on budget with all scoped requirements. Demonstrates quality through organization skills.
- Team and/or client feedback and satisfaction: Demonstrates a collaborative spirit and receives unsolicited, positive feedback
- Commitment to vision and guiding principles of agency and competency: Contributes to the growth of others. Number one focus is on client’s business. Respect for the individual is at the core of all team interactions. Focuses on solutions versus challenges.
- Organizational and/or technical knowledge: Has appropriate knowledge of his/her core competency and Targetbase’s integrated service offerings. Understands a technology-centric agency.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Internet Information Systems (IIS)
- Performing the Scrum Master role for at least three years for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
- Minimum 7 years working with development teams across consumer mobile applications, websites, landing pages and email.
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Knowledge of various well-documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach(example: numerous Burndown technologies, various Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.).
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
- Awareness and experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games.
- Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team.
- The experience in applying a wide variety of well-documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach(example: various Burndown technologies, many Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.).
- Strong ability to leverage metrics, optimization, and qualitative and quantitative research to inform and validate decisions.
- Expert project management and prioritization skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, at various stages of their development.
- Excellent people management skills, including the ability to attract and retain world class talent, as well as the ability to align resources to business needs while supporting the career development of staff members. Ability to inspire, develop, and coach team members.
- Strong verbal and written communicator with all levels of business leaders; ability to influence and cultivate relationships with key business stakeholders in the agency and its clients.
- Exceptional negotiation skills across a variety of audiences; can successfully advocate both business-facing and IT technology solutions among peers and to executive leadership.
- Sound business judgment: the ability to identify the business objectives, develop and implement a business strategy on projects; capable of making reliable business decisions during execution.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITY
- Development Tools/Platform
- Visual Studio
- ASP.NET 3.5
- IIS Full Text Search (strong plus)
- IIS administration (strong plus)
- Web Technologies
- XML/SOAP/Web Services
- AJAX (MS Ajax Toolkit)
- Charting Components
- Data Access/Object-Relational Tools
- SQL Server
- Oracle (strong plus)
- Object Oriented design - demonstrable knowledge of design patterns
- Strong leadership skills
- Detail oriented
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Resource management skills; proven leadership ability
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines
- Ability to partner effectively with clients and cross functional team members
- Strong ownership of entire software development life cycle for assigned projects
- Overtime as necessary
- After hours on-call as necessary