JOB SCOPE & PURPOSE
The Copywriter creates communication solutions by developing concepts and copy treatments with an art director partner that are on strategy and motivate desired consumer behavior.
- Regularly attends and participates in kickoffs, team meetings, and client presentations
- Collaborates fully with art director and print/digital production to develop solid conceptual ideas and formats that implement strategy and direction from the brief
- Meets with the group creative director, along with art director, to discuss concepts and creative strategy, ensuring that they deliver against the objectives
- Works with the library, researchers, or interview subjects as the project demands
- Synthesizes key project information and applies the resulting knowledge in developing effective and imaginative copy concepts that support the project’s objectives
- Presents layouts of concepts to Client Service team and then to client for discussion and approval, compellingly and with an authoritative manner
- Supports creative concepts by providing verbal and written rationales as requested
- Executes creative in multiple mediums by writing innovative copy using vivid language and examples appropriate to the client’s needs
- Writes economically, including a complete, benefit-oriented selling message without extraneous embellishments
- Examines copy consistently throughout a project to ensure it is cohesive, including proofing mechanicals and proofs
- Organizes personal work time effectively and work with project manager, ensuring all team members have the necessary time to review copy decks and proofs
- Contributes to building a positive agency culture, building positive working relationships with internal team, other departments, and clients
- Utilizes excellent writing and conceptual abilities to consistently develop and execute strategically sound and portfolio-worthy work
- Shows grasp of subject matter and technical proficiency in copy
- Ensures deliverables integrate with all other tactics within a campaign
- Keeps group creative director, Creative teammates, and project manager up to date on project status
- Works with Client Service, Technology, and/or SBA to develop and execute accurate solutions for the respective client
- Develops and exhibits strong presentation and negotiation skills
- May work directly with client (in conjunction with internal team)
- Quality and overall impact of deliverables: Strives to achieve executional excellence. Ensures high-quality deliverables by following established processes. Thorough and comprehensive review of all work through every phase of the project. Copy and content changes/errors/omissions are clearly and effectively communicated. Ensures brand consistency.
- Team and/or client feedback and satisfaction: Builds strong relationships with internal team. Contributes consistently by delivering work that meets the needs of the project. Receives unsolicited, positive feedback from team.
- Commitment to vision and guiding principles of agency and competency: Number one focus is on quality and ensuring that quality is achieved at every stage of the project
- Organizational and/or technical knowledge: Has appropriate knowledge of his/her core competency and Targetbase’s integrated service offerings. Maintains proficiency in copywriting and editing techniques.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- 1-2 years of agency experience in copywriting
- Other writing experience is an asset
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, or Marketing Communications or diploma from copywriting program is an asset
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITY