Personalis, Inc. is a genome-scale diagnostics company with a mission to pioneer genome guided medicine. Our priority is to obtain the most accurate genetic data from each sample, and then to draw the most reliable medically-focused conclusions from these. Our tests are based on whole human genome, exome sequencing, and gene panel sequencing conducted in our state-of-the art CLIA/CAP certified laboratory. We analyze and report results utilizing proprietary databases, advanced human reference sequences, and sophisticated algorithms.
Located in Menlo Park, CA, we are seeking a talented and highly motivated Research Associate to join our Operations Team. You will participate in the daily activities of the laboratory in order to effectively maximize turnaround time, equipment, and material utilization within budgetary constraints while adhering to quality technical standards.
This is a 3 months temp to hire position. We have Multiple openings for swing and day shifts that include one weekend day (Tues - Sat or Sun - Thurs)
Participates in a hands-on fashion to the daily lab activities in one of the following areas by performing and assisting in laboratory tests, processes and analyses according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures:
- Extractions Team: Extract DNA and RNA from different types of samples (fixated tissues, frozen tissue, blood, saliva and more). Perform quality control of samples and sample storage and management. Perform data transfer to the Library Prep Team
- Library Prep Team: Perform manual and automated NGS library preparation (DNA and RNA samples); perform quality control of samples; sample management and data transfer to sequencing team
- Sequencing Team: Operate next generation sequencing equipment; determine sequencing loading schemes to generate required data deliverable; track sequencing runs and manage data results for customer samples
- Whole Genome Team: Perform incoming Quality Control of gDNA. Perform library preparation of gDNA using automated liquid handlers; perform quality control of prepped libraries and pooling prepared libraries for sequencing.
- Escalates issues to a supervisor when problems arise with sample processing
- Procures appropriate supplies and equipment to maximize department efficiency and meet established budgetary and quality goals
- Supports and ensure compliance with all department and company policies and procedures.
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Demonstrate knowledge of laboratory safety protocols
- Demonstrate commitment to quality and continuous improvement
- Uses effective two-way communication and participating in general laboratory meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- BA/BS in a biological discipline
- 0-2+ years of relevant laboratory experience as a laboratory technician
- Experience with lab automation systems is a plus
- Must have working knowledge of techniques for manipulation of RNA and DNA
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Knowledge of genomics is preferable
- Strong desire to work in a demanding, high-energy, hands-on environment
- Ability to work within a team
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Personalis is an equal opportunity employer. Personalis offers a competitive compensation package.