Recreation Staff (Lifeguard) and Aquatics Specialist (Swim Instructor).
Benefits of working at Banff Centre
- Some of the best staff housing in the Bow Valley
- Staff cafeteria and restaurant discounts
- Medical and dental benefits after 2000 hours
- Onsite fitness facility at a discounted rate – first month free for new staff!
- Discounts for you, your family and friends at our on-site hotels
- Free or reduced admission to Banff Centre performances and events
The Sally Borden Fitness and Recreation Centre is looking for experienced Recreation Staff and Aquatics Specialists to provide exceptional customer-service at the reception desk, perform life-guarding duties, and provide swimming instruction to all Banff Centre artists, guests, members and drop-in visitors.
- Work at the reception desk and accept registration for fitness centre programs, courses, and therapeutic services, and collect applicable fees.
- Process and maintain accurate fitness membership records, ensuring that all memberships are current with dues paid.
- Perform life guarding duties, maintaining compliance with the guidelines set out by the Lifesaving Society and National Lifeguard Service.
- Administer emergency first aid, as required, to ensure the safety of all guests.
- Pool cleaning and maintenance duties, ensuring all procedures relative to water purification and safety are effectively carried out, including proper filtration and chemical balancing.
- As Swim Instructor (Aquatics Specialist), provide Canadian Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certified swimming instruction, evaluate program participants, and ensure all necessary administration is complete.
- Work with clients to determine appropriate instruction based on their needs, communicate progress effectively, and seek feedback on instruction/programs as a whole.
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- Possess current Canadian qualifications for National Lifeguard Service, Canadian Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Standard First Aid with Level "C" CPR and AED, and oxygen administration
- Previous experience as a lifeguard in a pool setting
- For Aquatics Specialist, previous experience in preparing, delivering, and evaluating Red Cross swim lessons
- Has previous customer service experience and basic computer skills
- Due to the nature of the job, this position requires the candidate to be available to work a flexible, irregular schedule and weekends.
- There are specific clothing requirements for this position.
- Candidates must provide copies of all required qualifications before a final job offer can be made and must re-certify qualifications if they expire within 6 months of starting employment.
Employment Terms & Benefits
- In accordance with CUPE 4318, these are unionized, hourly support staff positions, subject to a 500 hour probation period. Recreation Staff and Aquatics Specialists work up to 37.5 hours per week on a rotating schedule. The weekly hours will vary based on business needs.
- When working as a Lifeguard (Recreation Staff) the rate of pay is $18.91 per hour. When working as a Swim Instructor (Aquatics Specialist) the rate of pay is $21.00 per hour.
We are accepting applications for the Recreation Staff and Aquatics Specialist positions until suitable candidates has been found.
Candidates offered a position with Banff Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its work community. If you are a foreign national please visit our International Applicants page for more information.