About Whitman-Walker Health
At Whitman-Walker, our commitment to “Community, Caring and Quality” really shines through! Our mission is to be the highest quality, culturally competent community health center serving greater Washington’s diverse urban community, including individuals who face barriers to accessing care, and with a special expertise in LGBT and HIV care. We offer a full line of healthcare services including: (1) comprehensive outpatient offerings for medical and dental healthcare; (2) an on-site Pharmacy; (3) legal s support in the areas of access to health care, public benefits and private insurance, discrimination and workplace rights, immigration, transgender rights and others; (4) behavioral healthcare provided through individual and group therapy; and (5) confidential HIV testing and counseling services.
The Client Services Department is WWH’s centralized patient interfacing department. Responsible for assisting patients in the medical, dental, behavioral health and other areas across the health center with accessing care. This position will be responsible for handling all client-facing duties ranging from scheduling patients for appointments, inputting patient data into eCW and other related tasks.
Primary Essential Duties
• Greet and welcome all internal and external customers in any communication in a warm, friendly and professional manner and ensure that every customer receives high quality customer service.
• Perform opening and closing duties daily.
• Perform “Same Day” claim data functions.
• Register new clients, and input patient information in eClinical Works (eCW).
• Obtain patient general consent forms.
• Schedule clients for services in eClinical Works (eCW).
• Provide new patients/clients with list of items they will need prior to their appointment.
• Send Telephone Encounters in eClinical Works (eCW).
• Confirm public and/or commercial coverage is active.
• Inform clients of approximate costs for services upon request.
• Check clients in and out, schedule and re-schedule clients for future appointments. Verify patient identity and insurance at each client encounter.
• Obtain patient information at check in.
• Obtain patient payments at check in.
• Distribute any telephone encounters to the appropriate department in eCW.
• Provide knowledgeable program-specific or generalized information about Whitman-Walker.
• Ensure Release of Information form is fully and accurately completed by patient.
• Serves as back-up to teammate as coverage is needed.
• Oversee internal correspondence from patients to staff and vice versa.
• Maintain the reception area in a clean, orderly manner. Maintain the client waiting area and entry hallways free of litter, assure handouts and/or magazines are maintained in an orderly manner.
• Help clients in distress by following procedures to request emergency assistance, calling 911 for emergency assistance or to report client disturbances.
• Maintain client confidentiality in compliance with HIPPA including demographic and financial information.
• Ensure the readiness of the reception area for each working day.
• Notify Lead or Manager of office supplies required for front desk activities.
• Notify Lead of Manager of malfunctioning office equipment, lighting, or supplies needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Budget Responsibilities- No direct budget responsibilities.
Management Responsibilities- No direct management responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills, and Talents Required
• Self-motivation, flexibility and the ability to provide support in a fast-paced clinic environment.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Ability to effectively use computer software and technology as required by WWH, including Microsoft Office, Outlook and eClinicalWorks (eCW).
• Ability to communicate in an effective and professional manner with clients and staff members.
• Excellent telephone and face to face interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively deescalate difficult client encounters.
• Sensitivity to all areas of diversity, not limited to ,HIV status, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and gender identity.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
Education and Experience Required
• Associate’s degree or equivalent work experience required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Knowledge of standard medical office/clinic procedures preferred.
• 1-2 years’ experience in health center environment preferred.
• Fluency in Medical Terminology preferred.
• Fluency in Spanish and or Amharic is required.
• Experience working with an ethnically, culturally and racially diverse work staff preferred; ability to work harmoniously with diverse groups of individuals required.
Core WWH Duties for All
Performs and behaves in accordance with Whitman-Walker’s mission, cultural norms and core values of dignity, respect, affirmation and humility.
Maintains a respectful, non-judgmental, and compassionate manner with patients/clients/staff.
Demonstrates excellent customer service by identifying and exceeding customer requirements.
Adheres to Whitman-Walker policies and procedures, with special attention given to HIPAA requirements.
Maintains data integrity through conscientious use of relevant tools and employing a system of checks and balances.
Demonstrates organizational skills necessary to multi-task, meet deadlines and re-prioritize as needed.
Participates in organizational quality and performance improvement activities
Working Conditions: Working conditions for this position are normal for an office environment.
• Lifting: No more than 20 lbs. and infrequently.
• Movement: Standing and sitting for long periods. Mobility between Whitman-Walker facilities and across/between floors.
• Visual: Long periods on computer.
• Concentration: Highly effective concentration is required along with frequent multi-tasking.
• Communication: Direct and indirect communication. Written and verbal acuity. Ability to hear and/or communicate in another manner with clients and staff who speak. Manual dexterity to type and dial phone.
Whitman-Walker is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants, its employees or former employees based on race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and gender identity. For accommodation in the application process, please contact Human Resources.