About Whitman-Walker Health
At Whitman-Walker, we strive to treat each patient with the dignity, affirmation, and respect they deserve. Our mission is to be the highest quality, culturally competent federally qualified health center serving the greater Washington community, including individuals who face barriers to accessing care, and with expertise in LGBTQ and HIV care. We offer comprehensive health and wellness services including, primary and specialty infectious disease care; behavioral, community, and sexual health; dental, legal, and complimentary wellness services; substance abuse treatment, youth prevention services, and more.
The Sr. Manager of Medical Support provides oversight, training, and program area management across multiple sites to ensure that high quality, culturally competent, primary care is provided to clients with the highest level of customer service.
Primary Essential Duties
- Develop procedures and training manuals for medical support staff.
- Provide training and ongoing monitoring of medical support staff including but not limited to onboarding of new staff, shadowing new and existing staff, chart review, and skill sign-off.
- Create job descriptions, ensure that open positions are advertised, interview, select, and hire new employees, meet with staff in one-on-one sessions at least bi-weekly, monitor and provide feedback on staff performance and behavior, conduct performance appraisals, engage in disciplinary action up to and including termination when necessary.
- Provide training (including professional development opportunities), guidance, and technical and managerial support to supervisors, managers, and leads within the program areas
- Ensure that Medical Assistants are rooming patients according to departmental protocol including but not limited to taking and documenting vital signs, assisting with the provider examination as necessary, giving injections and/or drawing blood as directed, contributing to the development of the patient’s plan of care, collaborating with providers, and documenting all treatments and encounters accurately.
- Ensure that medical equipment is inspected and serviced regularly.
- Monitor the processing of medical records (incoming and outgoing requests), ensure compliance with Federal regulations.
- Review, track, and monitor the completion of the referral life cycle.
- Ensure that clinical safety procedures are in place and followed – including disposal of bio-hazardous waste and storage of medical supplies and medications.
- Ensure that medical support staff are providing patient health education as delegated by and observed by a Physician, Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant, or Registered Nurse.
- Encourage and coordinate communication between patients, medical support staff, and providers.
- Serve as a liaison between medical support staff and providers, as well as other departments within WWH.
- Provide assistance to medical support and front desk staff to meet the needs of difficult patients and patient complaints/concerns.
- Facilitate meetings of the medical assistant support staff and administrative support staff at least monthly
- Attend provider meetings and/or team meetings as needed and represent the concerns of medical support staff.
- Monitor WWH’s vaccine program including maintaining a perpetual inventory, ordering from the Department of Health, pharmacy, and commercial vendors, providing adequate storage and appropriate utilization, and reporting to the Department of Health.
- Maintain a list supplies and medications available in the team rooms and on site, complete ordering, monitoring for expiration dates, and safety of use of supplies
No direct budget responsibility
Direct reports include Managers and Supervisors within the medical support program areas
Knowledge, Skills, and Talents Required
- Knowledge of standard medical office/clinic procedures, including knowledge of general and specific nursing functions, activities, protocols and standards
- Highly developed communication skills, including the ability to function effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team providing patient care
- Ability to conduct sensitive, empathetic interviews that respect the dignity and diversity of patients
- Sensitivity to all areas of patient diversity, including HIV status, race, ethnicity, ability, age, sexual orientation, and gender identity
- Knowledge of the Federal, State and DC laws that govern the provision of medical services
- Knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and understanding of its provisions as they apply to Medical Assistants and other medical support staff
- Knowledge of all applicable WWH policies and procedures
- Knowledge of medical record systems required; specific knowledge of eCW preferred
- Ability to adapt to an ever changing environment
Education and Experience Required
- Graduation from an approved Medical Assistant program required; Graduation from an accredited LPN program preferred
- Five (5) years of experience working as a Medical Assistant in a healthcare setting
- Three (3) years of experience supervising medical staff
- Experience working with diverse populations preferred; ability to work with diverse populations required
Working conditions for this position are normal for an office environment. Individual may be required to work evenings and / or weekends and organization events.
- Lifting: No more than 20 lbs. and infrequently.
- Movement: Standing and sitting for long periods.
- Visual: Long periods on computer.
- Concentration: Extended periods of engagement with computer systems where concentration is key to accuracy in data entry. Intermittent periods of engagement with a telephone system to respond to inquiries where concentration is key to task performance.
- Communication: Direct and indirect communication. Written and verbal competency.
Whitman-Walker is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants, its employees or former employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and gender identity. For accommodation in the application process, please contact Human Resources