About Whitman-Walker Health
At Whitman -Walker, we strive to treat each patient with the digni t y, affirmation, and respect they deserve. Our mission is to be the highest quality, culturally competent federally qualified health center serving the greater Washington community, including indiv iduals who face barriers to accessing care, and with expertise in LGBTQ and HIV care. We offer comprehensive health and wellness services including, pr imary and specialty infectious disease care; beh avioral, commun ity, and sexual health; dental, legal, and complimentary wellness services; substance abuse t reatment, you th prevention s er vices, and more.
Coordinates the administration and implementation of research programs at the health center, working directly with study participants, supporting clinicians and investigators and ensuring that study protocols are strictly followed. Identifies community members and health center patients for studies, coordinates enrollment efforts, works closely with study participants to ensure adherence to protocols and to monitor safety, collects specimens and data. Works with a great degree of autonomy to advance the research program at Whitman-Walker Health.
Primary Essential Duties
- Works with investigators, department leadership, and outside research partners to coordinate recruitment and enrollment of new clients into the various trial programs and research studies at Whitman-Walker, conducts review of complex medical records, provides informed consent, interviews study participants, explains study procedures in detail, and coordinates clinical coverage for research visits, if necessary.
- Recruits study participants using various approved methods, including but not limited to: cold calling, coordination with clinicians, approaches during primary care visits, attending relevant community events, direct outreach in-person or online/social media, etc., and will give input into new and different modes approved by department leadership.
- Collects and inputs data into databases, reports, forms, and/or online systems specific to project protocols.
- Performs quality control checks to ensure accurate and highest quality data are reported in studies.
- Maintains close contact with study participants to support adherence to study protocols and retention.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of protocols in order to support patient safety and investigator oversight, including protocol amendments and procedures associated with protocol changes.
- Uses knowledge of study-specific protocols to identify and report compliance issues in a timely manner to Senior Research Specialists and/or supervising manager.
- Liaises with regulatory and operations staff, nursing staff, clinicians, and investigators through every stage of research studies at the health center.
- Works with the outside research teams, Contract Research Organizations, and Sponsors to make sure studies are monitored and investigators are aware of study operations.
- Generates reports on monthly and annual activities, as well as enrollment and retention progress.
- Makes referrals for case management, primary care, and specialty care as necessary.
- Performs phlebotomy, specimen handling/processing/shipping, EKG, HIV and STD tests, and other study procedures and/or interventions as needed according to study protocols.
- Dispenses and administers study medication as prescribed by study protocols
- Demonstrates job duties to junior staff as needed.
- Will participate and support the SHARE study clinic one Saturday a month, and rotating weekday clinics in conjunction with other research projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
No direct budget responsibilities
No personnel management responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Talents Required
- Demonstrated ability to work with patients, clinicians, and investigators to ensure studies are run effectively, often coordinating efforts of multiple people within the department and outside study partners.
- Knowledge of general protocols for clinical research, specifically as relates to ethical standards for the conduct of human subjects research
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, including the ability to function efficiently as part of a multidisciplinary team in facilitating the clinical trial and research study programs.
- Ability to conduct sensitive, empathetic interviews that respect the dignity and diversity of clients.
- Ability to prepare accurate, concise and comprehensive reports.
- Ability to maintain client records and information in an accurate, timely and confidential manner.
- Excellent organizational skills, including proficiency in use of computer word processing and data entry programs and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Education and Experience Required
- Preferred Bachelor’s Degree or at least four years of direct clinical/medical experience or four years of client social services experience.
- Preferred thorough knowledge of HIV, LGBT, or infectious disease concepts and/or research.
- Experience working with an ethnically, culturally, and racially diverse work staff preferred; ability to work harmoniously with diverse groups of individuals required.
Working conditions for this position are normal for an office environment. Individual may be required to work evenings and / or weekends and organization events.
- Lifting: No more than 20 lbs. and infrequently.
- Movement: Standing and sitting for long periods.
- Visual: Long periods on computer.
- Concentration: Extended periods of engagement with computer systems where concentration is key to accuracy in data entry. Intermittent periods of engagement with a telephone system to respond to inquiries where concentration is key to task performance.
- Communication: Direct and indirect communication. Written and verbal competency.
Whitman-Walker is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants, its employees or former employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and gender identity. For accommodation in the application process, please contact Human Resources