SUMMARY OF PROGRAM/PROJECT:
The Personnel and Payroll Systems Division (PPSD) is responsible for the continual development of a large-scale federal payroll/personnel system (FPPS) as well as its web components through Time System Management Branch (TSMB). The TSMB System Administrator plays a vital role ensuring enterprise application(s) retain availability.
Technatomy is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer (Software Application Administrator) for the branch responsible for System Administration. Under general direction, formulates and defines specifications for complex operating software programming applications or modifies/maintains complex existing applications using engineering releases and utilities from the manufacturer. Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents those programs. Responsible for applications dealing with the overall operating system, such as sophisticated file maintenance routines, large telecommunications networks, computer accounting, and advanced mathematical/scientific software packages. Competent to work at this highest technical level on all phases of software systems programming applications. May have responsibility for the evaluation of new and existing software products. May assist other systems programmers to effectively utilize the system’s technical software. Supporting a wide array for application technologies and server architectures (RHEL, minor Windows).
Specifics for this role at IBC/HRD/PPSD/TSMB SA:
1. Build, deploy, configure, and patch n-tier web applications on Solaris, Linux, and Windows platforms -- 15%
2. Identify requirements for production application control, reporting, and code migrations; develop tools and documentation based on the identified requirements -- 25%
3. Develop and maintain scripts, programs, and documentation for the automation of data processing jobs -- 10%
4. Deploy/administer source code version control system and manage source code repositories -- 10%
5. Schedule and verify code migrations, production control operations, reporting and data processing jobs -- 25%
6. Identify causes of production application availability or integration problems; resolve or mitigate such issues -- 10%
7. Provide on-call support for production operations as needed -- 5%
POSITION DESCRIPTION (Duties and Responsibilities):
- Expected to serve as a team member in the Integration Services Team; working in a complex, mission-critical computing environment primarily on Red Hat Linux. The work associated with this position will be divided between different projects and applications.
- On-call duties and must possess the ability to work with a diverse, high-performance team.
- Act as a resource as needed during critical system outages to provide management with business impact information necessary to make decisions; assure the highest levels of stability, integrity, reliability, security, and availability of the environment under his/her responsibility.
- Maintains system documentation.
- Essential to program in an administrative language- Shell Scripting.
- Provide application performance tuning.
- The candidate shall monitor, update, and maintain existing legacy environment software systems interfaces to ensure that the interfaces exchange data properly and to support the current legacy environment.
- Collaborate with hardware, OS, DBA technical teams to ensure proper integration of the environment.
- Plan and coordinate testing changes, upgrades, and new services, ensuring systems will operate correctly in current and future environments.
- Provides second level of technical support for all corporate systems and software components.
- Leads and participates in efforts to develop and implement processes for application and system monitoring.
- Tests, debugs, implements, and documents programs. Assists in the modification of company products and/or customer/internal systems to meet the needs of the client and/or end-user.
- Develops test plans to verify logic of new or modified programs.
- Daily monitoring and maintenance activities.
- Assist in the day-to-day operations of Operations department.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Ability to create Shell scripts is a must.
- Experience primarily with Linux and secondary Windows environments.
- Knowledge of Apache Tomcat, Oracle SQL
- Excels at the highest technical level of all phases of applications systems analysis and programming activities.
- Understands the workflow and process requirements of complex application systems.
- Demonstrated ability to be the subject matter expert in supporting, maintaining, and administering complex applications.
- Excellent problem solving/analytical skills and knowledge of analytical tools.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS DESIRED:
- Strong experience on failover, high availability, disaster recovery, business continuance.
- Outstanding attention to detail with superior time and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Display and execute logical and complex troubleshooting methods.
- Demonstrated soft skills required such as presentation of ideas and clearly articulate the concepts to senior management.
- Ability to program in other languages.
Education (Minimum Requirements):
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and 5 years of experience
Technatomy Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Technatomy Corporation to afford equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.