Job title: Senior Public Health Evaluation Advisor
Location: Based in Maseru
Primary Manager: Director, Public Health Evaluations
The EGPAF/Lesotho Senior Public Health Evaluation Advisor will work in the research department under the Director of Public Health Evaluations to advance the Foundation goals of advancing research and innovation that leads to new, improved, affordable and scalable solutions to end HIV/AIDS in children, youth, and families. He/she is responsible for the conduct of research from concept development, study design, protocol development, study staff training, implementation, data management, data analysis and manuscript preparation. He/she will work in close collaboration with Technical Services and Strategic Information and Evaluation teams in Lesotho, study sponsors, and technical staff at HQ to design and conduct research studies relevant to EGPAF program and technical needs and priorities.
The Advisor, under the supervision of the Director of Public Health Evaluations, will contribute to capacity building through supervision, training and mentoring of junior evaluation staff, and will regularly communicate with local and US-based investigators on the progress of research, and conduct of research studies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop research and evaluation protocols to assess key outcomes of EGPAF’s HIV prevention, care and treatment programs in Lesotho
- Design data collection tools, SOPs and other study related documents and coordinate the initial and periodic review of all study tools and SOPs
- Conduct research, evaluations, and program assessments in accordance with approved protocols; including providing oversight and direct supervision of study staff training, data collection, data management, and implementation of SOPs
- Work with EGPAF Lesotho and HQ regulatory staff to ensure timely submission of protocols, modifications, and progress reports to appropriate IRBs and other regulatory agencies
- Periodically conduct internal monitoring and auditing of evaluation study implementation and documentation to ensure compliance with the protocol, SOPs, protection of human subjects in research and regulatory requirements
- Review, analyze, interpret study data and disseminate findings through publication in international journals and presentation of abstracts in national and international scientific meetings in line with EGPAF policies and donor requirements
- Liaise with relevant District Technical Advisors (DTAs) and other EGPAF staff at sites to develop and maintain partnerships and networks with District and Health Facility managers in EGPAF evaluation study districts/sites to ensure smooth project implementation
- Develop and maintain regular communication and collaboration with local and international investigators, the Lesotho Ministry of Health, and sponsor institutions, with the aim of providing timely updates to all relevant stakeholders
- Participate in capacity building by mentoring and teaching junior research, evaluation and program staff on important aspects of research and evaluations, including development of staff skills on writing research protocols, abstracts and manuscripts for publication
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Public Health Evaluations
Required Qualifications and Experience
- MBChB, MD, PhD or similar advanced degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Maternal Child Health, Public Health or HIV related sciences
- Minimum 3 years of proven experience in health research in developing countries, including protocol development, design of surveys, data collection, data analysis, and scientific publication elaboration
- Experience in successfully training, mentoring, and providing technical support to health professionals in research design, research methodologies and study implementation in developing countries, preferably in Africa
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of protection of human subjects in research and ethics regulations to ensure compliance with all local and international requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of HIV services, PMTCT, MCH, pediatric and adult HIV care and treatment
- Proficiency in the use of databases such as Microsoft Access, Epi-Info and analytical software, such as STATA, SPSS, R is an advantage
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to prioritize, take initiative and follow-through.
- Proven ability to work effectively as member of dynamic team in fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, are required
Nothing in this job description restricts management rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Employee`s Signature: Date:
Supervisor`s Signature: Date: