Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Title: Software Developer
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Manager, Custom Development & Programming,
Classification: Full-time, exempt
"Sometimes in life there is that moment when it's possible to make a change for the better.
This is one of those moments."
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 16 countries and at over 5,000 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected. Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. With a growing global staff of over 3,100 — nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement prevention, care, and treatment; further advance innovative research; and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide.
The software developer’s role is to design, develop, debug, test, support and implement small to medium size software applications. The software developer will also work closely with stakeholders to determine functional and non-functional requirements during the new application development phase. This includes researching, designing, documenting, and modifying software specifications throughout the production lifecycle. The software developer will also support the existing custom applications by analyzing and amending defects in existing applications, building reports when required in a timely and accurate fashion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy & Planning
- Assist other developers, analysts, and designers in conceptualizing and developing new software applications, reports and dashboards.
- Collaborate with team members to analyze requirements.
- Plan phases of the software development life cycle (SDLC) for a variety of projects.
- Assist in the preparation and documentation of software requirements and specifications.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Support existing applications by responding to stakeholder needs, building reports and fixing bugs as required.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades.
- Consistently write, translate, and code custom software programs and applications according to specifications.
- Modify and maintain existing applications to established standards, specifications and approved changes.
- Implement reports and dashboards from potentially multiple data sources.
- Run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of user manuals and guidelines.
- Liaise with network administrators, systems analysts, and software engineers to assist in resolving problems with software products or organization’s software systems.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior software developers.
- Design and implement technology best practices, guidelines and repeatable processes
- Maintains a positive working relationship with all staff.
- Provides strong written and verbal communication to domestic and international colleagues.
- Acquires and develops professional skills that benefit EGPAF and the individual.
- Must be a motivated self-starter who requires moderate to low supervision.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure or other Cloud technologies.
- Experience with Microsoft PowerBI reporting tool and SSRS reporting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Hands on experience working in integrated development environments, including Visual Studio 2015/2017 and Visual Studio Team Foundation or Azure DevOps.
- Experience writing T-SQL and SQL Server database.
- Must have strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Solid understanding of object-oriented design and programming.
- Experience working in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Business intelligence reporting expertise such as SSRS and Microsoft Power BI.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure Platform or similar cloud technology.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Azure Cosmos Database is a plus
- API development.
- Current relevant technical certifications.
The Foundation expects all employees to possess the fundamental competencies of interpersonal skills, communication, accountability, continual learning, and driving results. The ideal candidate will either be proficient or advanced in the following set of competencies, specific to this position’s level of Officer:
- Team Building – Team building is a person’s ability to inspire and foster team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. He/she also facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
- Customer Service – Customer service is a person’s ability to anticipate and meet the needs of internal and external customers while delivering high-quality products and services and being committed to continuous improvement.
- Decisiveness – Decisiveness is a person’s ability to make well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data is limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences. He/she will also perceive the impact and implications of decisions.
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EGPAF complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Foundation has facilities.