Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Job Title: Index Testing Program Officer
Job openings: 4
Locations: Littoral region
Reports to: Coordinator for Integrated HIV Service Delivery,
Start date: October 1st, 2019
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 19 countries and at over 5,500 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected. Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. With a growing global staff of over 1,000—nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement HIV prevention, care, and treatment programs; further advance innovative research; and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide. For more information, please, visit our page: www.pedaids.org.
EGPAF works in partnership with the Ministry of Health NACC and the Regional and District Health Teams to support HIV Prevention, Care and Treatment and health systems strengthening services. EGPAF is mainly funded by PEPFAR through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
Purpose of the Job
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is seeking to recruit HIV Testing Services Program Officers to be based in the Littoral/Douala. The HTS Program Officers will work with the district and facility teams to enhance uptake and provision of quality HIV testing services (HTS) especially index case testing in the health facilities and in community with focus on high risk populations – families of clients enrolled in HIV care, in TB, malnutrition, maternal and child health clinics and in-patient and maternities. S/He ensures that health facilities implement high yield HIV testing approaches with fidelity (Index Case Testing and targeted PITC, self-testing and VCT) with fidelity while ensuring high quality standards and proper linkage to ART. The HTS Program Officers will strengthen the whole continuum of care from testing to enrolment in HIV care.
- Support HTS counsellors and health care providers to provide routine HTS to clients seeking health services in supported facilities with a focus on high yield strategies such as Targeted PITC and Index Case Testing;
- Support HTS counsellors in offering index case testing to biological and sexual contacts of HIV positive index clients who are hard to reach at facility and in the community.
- Enhance saturation of HTS in ANC, TB clinics, malnutrition clinics, postnatal and family planning clinics and among clients admitted in in-patient settings.
- Strengthen facility and home testing of family members of clients enrolled in HIV clinics including scaling up of partner notification and contact testing activities
- Train and mentor HTS providers to deliver quality HTS services as per national guidelines and Index case testing for all categories of contacts.
- Enhance linkage/referrals of HIV positive clients in care through the implementation of a case management model through physical escort of clients to HIV clinics and regular follow-ups including home visits till in enrolment in HIV clinic is confirmed
- Strengthen prevention messages and IEC in the health facilities and in all entry points for HIV testing
- Hold regular HTS program review meetings to monitor progress towards desire quality and set testing targets for index case testing and all testing.
- Implement quality improvement initiatives to enhance HTS uptake in supported facilities
- Degree in Clinical Medicine, Nursing, Psychology, Laboratory
- Trained in current MOH HTS guidelines
- Trained as a trainer in HIV Counselling and testing is a distinct advantage
- At least 5 years’ experience in HIV service provision in the public health sector
- At least 5 years of experience as a manager in the health services at site or district level
- Solid understanding and experience in the use of national HIV monitoring and evaluation tools particularly HIV Testing lab registers, QA and reporting tools
- Excellent mentorship and report writing skills
- Fluency in French is mandatory and work knowledge of English is a distinct advantage.
Required competencies, skills and experience
- Experience in managing a large, diverse and dynamic team of health professionals providing integrated HIV Testing, care and treatment services
- Experience in establishing and sustaining working relationships with the Ministry of Health at district and health providers at site level
- Significant and up to date knowledge of the current HTS, ART and PMTCT guidelines, standards, tools and best practices. Up to date knowledge of general HIV management is a pre-requisite
- Demonstrated experience in organizing and facilitating mentorship and capacity building in HTS and HIV service areas.
- Thorough knowledge of PEPFAR Program and MOH/NACCC reporting requirements including familiarity with the data collection and reporting tools used by MOH
- Proficiency in computer basic skills- MS Office; Internet; Basic data analysis skills
- Self- managed, self-driven, results oriented individual with excellent communication, interpersonal, report writing and analytical skills
- Proficiency in French and English
- Dedicated team player with ability and experience to work in a multidisciplinary team
- Team Building – Team building is a person’s ability to inspire and foster team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. He/she also facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
- Customer Service – Customer service is a person’s ability to anticipate and meet the needs of internal and external customers while delivering high-quality products and services and being committed to continuous improvement.
- Decisiveness – Decisiveness is a person’s ability to make well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data is limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences. He/she will also perceive the impact and implications of decisions
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit a CV and cover letter through the following link:
Screening of applications will be on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
Applications are only acceptable through the above link.
This position is subject to donor funding