Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Senior Biostatistician
Classification: Full-time, exempt
"Sometimes in life there is that moment when it's possible to make a change for the better.
This is one of those moments."
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 16 countries and at over 5,000 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected. Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. With a growing global staff of over 3,100 — nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement prevention, care, and treatment; further advance innovative research; and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide.
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation seeks a Biostatistician with experience in providing statistical support for protocol development, database design/ management, and analysis to work as a key member of the Foundation's Research Unit. Under the direction of the Foundation's Senior Biostatistician, s/he will support clinical and operations/implementation research and rigorous program evaluations in developing country settings, primarily Africa. This will include contribution to the study design, sample size determination, data collection methods, generation of data analysis plans and statistical analyses. The biostatistician will work in close collaboration with the research team, the strategic information and evaluation (SI&E) unit, and program staff both in the US and staff based in EGPAF country offices in the field.
- Supports program evaluation, impact evaluation, and clinical and operations research
- Collaborates with principal investigators in developing study methodology, sampling strategies , data collection and management, and statistical approaches for research proposals
- Writes statistical methods and analysis sections of protocols, reports, and peerreviewed publications;
- Plans for, designs, and participates in the implementation of research and data analysis capacity-building initiatives for country staff and partners
- Statistical Analysis
- Writes and executes statistical analysis plans for research studies; develops and executes procedures to oversee the collection of , cleaning, validation and maintenance of research data
- Prepares timelines for statistical project management and performs and interprets basic and complex analyses .
- Performs basic statistical tests such as t-tests, chi square tests, analysis of variance and other standard statistical methods. Prepares summary report of Methods used and the findings concerning the analyses of data, including tables and statistical graphics required for publication.
- Maintains documentation to permit evaluation of data cleaning process, analysis methods and assumptions. Documents analyses; creates summaries and presents written and verbal results to requestors.
- Provides ad hoc statistical support and programming to other research and program activities.
- Data Management
- Independently develops original study databases, queries or reports
- Prepares data files for analyses, including manipulating and exporting data from existing formats to statistical analysis program formats, and preparing a data dictionary.
- Writes scripts to enable checks on the database, including error checking for out of-range data or potential data entry errors .
- Identifies potential data problems from analytic queries and takes appropriate actions to guide the resolution process to ensure high quality research data
- Minimum of a Master's degree in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, or Statistics.
- Strong data management and statistical computing skills including Stata and/or
- SAS and/or R programming skills with at least 2 years' experience in public health research data analysis
- Proficiency in MS Access, Excel, Word and relational databases; Basic knowledge of SQL preferred
- Understanding of study design, evaluation research and statistics
- Strong analytical and organizational skills; Must be detail oriented
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple concurrent activities with good prioritization and follow through and to maintain project timelines
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally up to 20%
- French and/or Portuguese language skills are an advantage
The Foundation expects all employees to possess the fundamental competencies of interpersonal skills, communication, accountability, continual learning, and driving results. The ideal candidate will either be proficient or advanced in the following set of competencies, specific to this position’s level of Officer:
- Team Building – Team building is a person’s ability to inspire and foster team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. He/she also facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
- Customer Service – Customer service is a person’s ability to anticipate and meet the needs of internal and external customers while delivering high-quality products and services and being committed to continuous improvement.
- Decisiveness – Decisiveness is a person’s ability to make well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data is limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences. He/she will also perceive the impact and implications of decisions.
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EGPAF complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Foundation has facilities.