ELIZABETH GLASER PEDIATRIC AIDS FOUNDATION
Research and Evaluation Director
Job title: Research and Evaluation Director
Reporting Relation: Reports to the Country Director
The Research and Evaluation Director reporting to the Country Director, is responsible for the research and evaluation portfolio of the organization. He/she provides strategic leadership and oversight of the clinical, implementation, operations, and program effectiveness research conducted by EGPAF/Uganda, in close coordination with the technical and Strategic Information (SI) teams. The Director will directly contribute to generation of a strong evidence base to improve the effective delivery of quality programs to further the mission of EGPAF/Uganda, improving the lives people and communities infected and affected by HIV in Uganda and beyond.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage the EGPAF/Uganda portfolio of research and evaluation activities including the generation of proposals and other requests for funding related to HIV clinical, implementation, or program effectiveness research
- Lead and/or oversee all aspects of the research and evaluation studies, from idea conception, development of protocols and data collection instruments, personnel training, study implementation, data management/analysis to manuscript writing
- Work closely with the Technical and SI teams to identify priority program and public health evaluation questions
- Identify and evaluate interventions to address key programmatic challenges using strong scientific methodology to inform the program, MOH, and the broader HIV field
- Liaise with the EGPAF global regulatory officer to ensure all human subjects’ research protections are in place and all protocols undergo appropriate sponsor, U.S. and Uganda IRB review and approval
- Ensure the highest quality scientific, ethical and regulatory standards for all research activities
- Supervise and mentor research team members to enhance their knowledge and career development
- Contribute to capacity building of EGPAF staff and fellows, partners, and MOH personnel in the conduct of research through research trainings, mentoring, and sharing/review of relevant scientific literature
- Participate in preparation of study reports, abstracts and manuscripts and dissemination of results at district, national, and international levels
- Collaborate with the global Research team and research teams across EGPAF programs to leverage global expertise, share experiences, and facilitate multi-country research activities
- MD, PhD or similar advanced degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Maternal Child Health Public Health or HIV related sciences
- Minimum of 5 years of proven experience in health research in developing countries, including protocol development , design of surveys, data collection, data analysis, and scientific publication elaboration
- Experience in maternal, child health and HIV/AIDS research preferred
- Research publications demonstrating productive research experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of protection of human subjects in research and ethics regulations to ensure compliance with all local and international requirements
- Demonstrated experience in the independent development of research protocols and management of research in developing countries
- Knowledge and understanding of HIV services, PMTCT, MCH, pediatric and adult HIV care and treatment
- Proficiency in the use of databases such as Microsoft Access, Epi-Info and analytical software, such as STATA, SPSS, R is an advantage
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to prioritize, take initiative and follow-through.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and build partnerships and consensus, within teams, governmental agencies and with other stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work effectively as member of dynamic team in fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, are required
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.