The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation seeks an
Associate Director of Research
TITLE: Associate Director of Public health evaluation
LOCATION: Yaoundé, Cameroon
REPORTS TO: Country Director
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 19 countries and at over 7,000 sites around the world, with a mission to end pediatric HIV/AIDS through research, advocacy and prevention and treatment programs.
The Associate Director of Public Health Evaluation (AD-PHE), manages the research and evaluation portfolio of the Foundation in Cameroon. S/he provides strategic leadership and oversight of the clinical, implementation, operations, and program effectiveness research conducted by EGPAF/Cameroon, in close coordination with the technical and SI teams. The AD-PHE will directly contribute to generation of a strong evidence base to improve the effective delivery of quality programs to further the mission of EGPAF Cameroon, improving the lives of Cameroonians infected and affected by HIV/AIDS.
• Leads and manages the EGPAF Cameroon portfolio of operation research and evaluation activities
• Leads and/or oversees all aspects of the research and evaluation studies, from idea conception, development of protocols and data collection instruments, personnel training, study implementation, data management/analysis to manuscript writing.
• Work with EGPAF leadership in Cameroon to generate proposals for funding application related to HIV clinical, implementation, or program effectiveness research.
• Works closely with the Technical and SI teams to identify priority program and public health evaluation questions.
• Identifies and evaluates interventions to address key programmatic challenges using strong scientific methodology to inform the program, Ministry of Public Health, and the broader HIV field
• Liaises with the EGPAF Global Regulatory Officer to ensure all human subjects’ research protections are in place and all protocols undergo appropriate sponsor, U.S. and Cameroon IRB review and approval.
• Ensures the highest quality scientific, ethical and regulatory standards for all research activities.
• Supervises and mentors research team members to enhance their knowledge and career development.
• Contributes to capacity building of EGPAF staff and Fellows, partners, and MOPH personnel in the conduct of research through research trainings, mentoring, and sharing/review of relevant scientific literature
• Participates in preparation of study reports, abstracts and manuscripts and dissemination of results at district, national, and international levels.
• Collaborates with the global Research team and research teams across EGPAF programs to leverage global expertise, share experiences, and facilitate multi-country research activities.
• Establishes and maintain close collaboration with research partners, and with in-country counterparts
• Represents EGPAF Cameroon in all activities and meeting related to research.
• MD, PhD or similar advanced degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Maternal Child Health, Public Health or HIV related sciences
• Minimum of 8 years of proven experience in health research in developing countries, including protocol elaboration, design of surveys, data collection, data analysis, and scientific publication elaboration
• Experience in maternal, child health and HIV/AIDS research preferred;
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• S/He must have led from conception, development to report / or publication at least two protocols.
• S/he must have authored at least two abstracts at international conference and one publication in a peer review journal.
• Knowledge and understanding of HIV services, PMTCT, MCH, pediatric and adult HIV care and treatment
• Knowledge of protection of human subjects in research and ethics regulations to ensure compliance with all local and international requirements
• Proficiency in the use of databases such as Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, Epi-Info and analytical software, such as STATA, SPSS, is an advantage
• Perfectly bilingual (English and French)
• Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented with ability to prioritize, take initiative and follow-through
• Proven abilities to coordinate and manage research staff/team and team work
• Results oriented with a demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines with competing priorities
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written
• Other skills required: Good interpersonal skills, available and flexible on times, be rigorous and motivated.
• Available for regular traveling within Cameroon (up to 30%)
How to apply?
Email a cover letter and CV to CameroonRecruitment@pedaids.org. The subject should read Associate Director of PHE Deadline for applications: May 5, 2017. PLEASE Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.