JOB TITLE: Research and Evaluation Officer
The Research and Evaluation Advisor will report to Senior TA-Research and Evaluation
The Research and Evaluation Officer will work closely with the Senior TA-Research and Evaluation to design and oversee the implementation of program evaluations and other operations research and program assessments with the purpose of identifying improved models of MNCH/PMTCT, Malaria, Youth and Adolescent Health, and HIV care and treatment program implementation and enhancing program quality. The Research and Evaluation Offi cer will also make scientific information accessible to EGPAF, district and MOH staff.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Identification of programme evaluations, operations research, programme assessment and evaluation studies in the EGPAF Uganda programs:
- Work closely with the Work with the Senior TA- Research and evaluation : to identify and evaluate interventions to address key programmatic gaps/bottlenecks using strong scientific methodology to inform the program, MOH, and the broader HIV field
- Work closely with the program implementation team to identify problem questions to guide the research study.
- Collaborate with the Foundation’s SI&E Team to utilize program data to support program assessments and design and implement operational and evaluation research for global program improvement
- Undertake the triangulation of data collected through routinely to inform research and evaluation
- Champion structured program assessment and routine evaluations of activities to improve program efficiency and effectiveness
- Study development-Work with the Senior TA- Research and evaluation to:
- Develop concepts, proposals, and protocols, including data collection instruments
- Support management to identify resources to enable to expand the research portfolio within EGPAF Uganda, including proposal writing.
- Manage IRB approval process and maintain regulatory files for studies
- Manage study implementation- Work with the Senior TA- Research and evaluation to:
- Ensure studies are implemented according to study protocol, SOPs, and regulatory guidelines, which currently include a study on Pratt Pouch, a SOAR study, and a Family Support Group study.
- Dissemination of study results- Work with the Senior TA- Research and evaluation to:
- Collaborate with the global research team to leverage global expertise and share experiences
- Facilitate the sharing of research and evaluation related activities between EGPAF supported country programs, including dissemination of results
- Support capacity building of EGPAF staff in research and evaluation skills:
- Train field staff in data quality assurance, analysis, and ensure that there is a dissemination plan in place.
- Mentor/ coach program team and build their capacity to coordinate and implement program evaluation and operational research activities
- Technical leadership - Work with the Senior TA- Research and evaluation to:
- Serve as source of scientific information on HIV/AIDS, review of relevant scientific literature, and provide updates on results of current research in the field for staff to ensure evidence based programming and program responsiveness to the emerging evidence in the field
- Provide technical leadership and oversight for the effective implementation of specialized specific survey methodologies.
- Coordinate with other partners accessing and providing scientific information and expert advice
Required Qualifications and Job Experience
- Degree in Epidemiology, MD or similar advanced degree in public health, maternal child health or HIV related health science
- Minimum of 3 years clinical or implementation/operations, or behavioral research experience required
- Proven experience in the design, implementation, interpretation and publication of research
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge and understanding of current HIV, PMTCT, MNCH, Malaria and HIV care and treatment
- Knowledge of protection of human subjects in research and ethics regulations to ensure compliance with all local and international requirements
- Excellent working knowledge of major databases and analytical programs including MySQL, Visual Basic, MS access, MS excel, STATA, SPSS and Epi Data, and GIS
- Demonstrated experience in the development of research proposals and management of research in developing countries
- Practical understanding of periodic data collection methodologies including e.g. LQAS and PLACE
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to prioritize, take initiative and follow-through
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and build partnerships and consensus, within teams, governmental agencies and with other stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, are required
- Ability to travel to the supported regions and districts
Instructions to apply: The closing date for submitting applications is 3rd January 2017 .
Please send cover letter and CV to:
The Senior Human Resources Manager
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) Kampala, Uganda E-mail at: UgandaRecruitment@pedaids.org