Process Engineer (Chemical) Internship - 2020
About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
Process/Chemical Engineering Internship
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is a leading mining and natural resources company. Founded in 1847, we are recognized as the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota.
We are located in areas filled with lakes, rivers, and state parks; with very reasonably priced homes; good schools; and lots of outdoor recreation opportunities including golf, downhill and cross country skiing, snowmobiling, ATV riding, biking, hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, etc.
Our Northshore Mining site in Silver Bay, MN recently completed a $100 million expansion, and is now the only U.S. based iron ore processing facility to produce low silica DR-grade pellets, feedstock inventory for Cliffs’ Hot Briquetted Iron Plant in Toledo, OH, which will be commissioned in mid-2020.
Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency.
Site Locations :
Each of our sites, along with our Cliffs Technical Group, offers a variety of internship opportunities.. Our current site locations include:
Support the Plant Technical Services department and complete several special projects and initiatives.
Sample Past Projects :
· Assist with mill test in Concentrator units
· Conduct sampling and analysis of rougher tails
· Conduct sampling and analysis of finisher tails
· Attend weekly ore blending meeting
· Conduct audit on balling drum for sizing, bentonite, etc.
· Conduct audit on roll conveyer
· Daily in-depth troubleshooting of plant processes (trends, communicating, hands-on field work and sampling)
· Initiate and execute business improvement projects using appropriate methodology
· Provide technical input and guidance to operations and maintenance teams
· Direct activities of lab sampler, analyze and take action on the results
· Provide technical input and advice for capital and R&M projects
· Work closely with the Process Control Engineers and Control Room Operators to optimize the performance of the process through use of the control system and field instruments
· Work with support groups to ensure process is in compliance (environmental, quality, safety)
· Manage and supervise contractors as needed
· Assist with furnace camera and atomizing air project
· Run DOE (Design of Experiments) on atomizing air project
· Participate in regular site Engineering meetings and conference calls with site staff
· Other duties as assigned by the Chemical/Process Engineering staff
Education Requirements : Enrolled in an accredited school or university and currently pursuing a degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or other related field.
Experience Requirements : No previous experience required, previous internship experience preferred
Competency Requirements :
· Ability to work in various environments – rain, heat, humidity, etc.
· Strong writing skills
· Strong interpersonal communication skills
· Well-developed, superb organizational skills
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook
· AutoCAD or Solid works experience preferred
· Minitab experience helpful but not required
· Able to multi-task and set proper priorities
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results