Occupational Safety & Industrial Hygiene Internship - 2020
About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
Safety & Industrial Hygiene Internship
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is a leading mining and natural resources company. Founded in 1847, we are recognized as the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota.
We are located in areas filled with lakes, rivers, and state parks; with very reasonably priced homes; good schools; and lots of outdoor recreation opportunities including golf, downhill and cross country skiing, snowmobiling, ATV riding, biking, hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, etc.
Our Northshore Mining site in Silver Bay, MN recently completed a $100 million expansion, and is now the only U.S. based iron ore processing facility to produce low silica DR-grade pellets, feedstock inventory for Cliffs’ Hot Briquetted Iron Plant in Toledo, OH, which will be commissioned in mid-2020.
Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency.
Site Locations :
Each of our sites, along with our Cliffs Technical Group, offers a variety of internship opportunities.. Our current site locations include:
Support the Safety Department and complete several special projects and initiatives.
Sample Past Projects :
· Assist with MSHA tour of mine
· Assist with the creation of MSHA summary report of citations following site visit
· Conduct internal safety tours and document findings and suggestions
· Participate in Hazard ID tours, emergency response training, fall protection training, and other safety meetings
· Prepare reports and suggestions for weekly safety conference calls
· Identify lockout points, write procedures
· Review confined space risks and update labels and plans
· Conduct industrial hygiene sampling of dust, noise, and other potential hazards
· Assist with quarterly sirens drill
· Update emergency and safety contacts
· Assist with proactive initiative audits
· Take notes during incident investigations
· Conduct fact-finding during near-miss incidents and arrange meetings
· Participate in regular site safety meetings and conference calls with site staff
· Other duties as assigned by the Health and Safety staff
· Past Project Examples:
o Brady Lockout procedures for mine and plants development
o Procedure 700 & 728 Accident-Incident Investigation Analysis update
o Emergency Preparedness Manual review and update
Education Requirements: Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited school or university and currently pursuing a degree in Environmental, Health and Safety or other related field.
Experience Requirements : No previous experience required, previous internship experience preferred
Competency Requirements :
· Ability to work in various environments – rain, heat, humidity, etc.
· Strong writing skills
· Strong interpersonal communication skills
· Well-developed, superb organizational skills
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook
· Able to multi-task and set proper priorities
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results