Geologist Internship - 2020
About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is a leading mining and natural resources company. Founded in 1847, we are recognized as the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota.
We are located in areas filled with lakes, rivers, and state parks; with very reasonably priced homes; good schools; and lots of outdoor recreation opportunities including golf, downhill and cross country skiing, snowmobiling, ATV riding, biking, hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, etc.
Our Northshore Mining site in Silver Bay, MN recently completed a $100 million expansion, and is now the only U.S. based iron ore processing facility to produce low silica DR-grade pellets, feedstock inventory for Cliffs’ Hot Briquetted Iron Plant in Toledo, OH, which will be commissioned in mid-2020.
Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency.
Site Locations :
Each of our sites, along with our Cliffs Technical Group, offers a variety of internship opportunities.. Our current site locations include:
Support the Mine Engineering Department and complete several special projects and initiatives.
Sample Past Projects :
· Update geological mine model with ore grading and ore quality data
· Track detailed ore characteristics throughout the mine
· Conduct analysis of ore quality data using Excel and other Cliffs programs
· Log core sample data taken from exploration drilling into geological mine model
· Review current dig pattern and provide analysis and suggestions
· Evaluate ore blend and feasibility of acquisition opportunities and future reserves
· Participate in regular meetings with Corporate and site level Geological staff and mine management
· Other responsibilities as determined by Mine Engineering staff
· Past Project Examples:
o Model to actual (as-graded) ore body reconciliation
o Geology month end reconciliation reports compilation
o Blast grading
o Creation of the next years’ diamond drilling program
o Core logging
o Drill patterns probing
o Lead weekly ore quality meetings
Education Requirements: Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited school or university and currently pursuing a degree in Geology, Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering or other related degree.
Experience Requirements : No previous experience required, previous internship experience preferred
Competency Requirements :
· Ability to work in various environments – rain, heat, humidity, etc.
· Strong writing skills
· Strong interpersonal communication skills
· Well-developed, superb organizational skills
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook
· Experience with various mining related software’s including Vulcan, ArcGIS, acQuire, Isight, or similar preferred.
· Able to multi-task and set proper priorities
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results