About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
The Process Engineer role provides technical operations oversight for assigned areas within the plant on a rotating shift basis. The Process Engineer will develop, monitor, and optimize manufacturing processes to increase efficiency, improve quality and optimize productivity in the direct reduced iron processing operation.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Provide process engineering support within defined areas of accountability to achieve a safe, reliable, and optimal operation
- Responsible for reviewing and/or developing process flow diagrams, piping and instrument diagrams, mass and heat balances, as well as plant design, including functional description
- Ensure compliance to company and regulatory standards and procedures. Follow existing procedures to ensure compliance with company and regulatory directives, as well as sound contract management practices
- Provide input and recommendations to assist operations in prioritizing maintenance to ensure maximum commercial performance
- Recommends changes and provides guidance to Supervisors, Control Room and Operator employees for changes in operating conditions
- Responsible for optimization and troubleshooting of issues regarding process technologies within the plant, escalating larger issues to the Sr. Process Engineer for assistance as needed
- Assists with establishing Key Processing “Best Practices” to improve profitability, including: operating conditions, feedstock processing, hardware change recommendations, monitoring process conditions, catalyst performance monitoring, and unit performance reporting/comparison (benchmarking)
- Troubleshoot plant processes (trends, communicating, hands-on field work and sampling)
- Leads management of change activity as required. Provides technical leadership during Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) reviews
- Leads or participates in root cause analyses and incident investigations
- Assists in writing and checking operating procedure reviews
- Performs plant trials and research for new reagents to reduce costs
- Act as a liaison with external suppliers to ensure plant equipment and technology keeps up with the industry
- Work with multiple contract resources to execute process engineering strategies
- BS/BA in Chemical or Metallurgical Engineering; will consider other engineering degrees based on prior work experience
- 3+ years engineering experience in petrochemical, metals, mineral or equivalent processing operations.
- 1+ years experience with process controls, statistics, and project management required.
- Direct experience working in a cross functional team in operations setting
- Demonstrate equipment troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated skills with capital justification, budget development, expenditure, and controls
- Strong report writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills; ability to make decisions and recommendations based on data analysis required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interface with and relate complex concepts/issues with all levels
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and effectively manage multiple/changing priorities.
- Direct experience working in an OSHA PSM-covered facility would be a plus
- DRI/HBI experience preferred
- Domestic as required
- To Cleveland-based headquarters and Michigan / Minnesota-based operational sites, as required.
- Up to 10% estimated, will vary as work load dictates.
- Can be sedentary for long periods of time
- Occasionally lifting up to 25lbs
- Mobility required. Must be able to handle stairs and long periods of work on your feet
- Routinely exposed to plant environment including noise, dust, dirt and vibrations, extreme climate changes / changes in weather
- Ability to work at heights
- Willing to work shift work