About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for providing maintenance engineering support to ensure plant equipment availability is maximized. This position will be responsible for support to the operation through analysis of equipment health and recommending strategies to increase the time between overhauls. This role serves as a technical resource for planning, scheduling, and execution of mechanical maintenance. This position will be responsible for supporting plant reliability using knowledge of mechanical systems to troubleshoot and decrease lost opportunities.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Provides engineering design and specifications for mechanical equipment and systems including but not limited to; rotating equipment, piping systems, vessels, conveyors, and other mechanical equipment
- Utilizes various reliability tools in support of continuous improvement including leading or supporting key activities of the reliability program
- Serves to flag and advise the production team with regard to risks related to equipment reliability, process equipment availability, and mechanical integrity
- Responsible for maintaining a unit availability perspective and an equipment reliability strategy; this includes documenting problematic equipment and providing input and context to operational and maintenance activities
- Evaluates existing system and component capabilities by analyzing data utilizing engineering software
- Review data from preventative maintenance activities and operations, monitoring those activities for effectiveness and if applicable, frequency, and making changes as necessary
- Be the lead on specific predictive technologies such as NDE/NDT, oil analysis, vibration analysis, thermography, ultrasonics and motor circuit analysis
- Analyze operational and maintenance equipment history to deliver improvements in critical maintenance related metrics and KPI’s
- Perform Root Cause Analysis in support of operational event and equipment failure investigations to ensure that the root cause/causal factors have been identified, corrective actions prescribed and follow-up monitoring conducted as applicable to determine effectiveness
- Provide mechanical technical guidance and assistance with trouble-shooting to Shift Supervisors and Mechanical Craft people on a daily basis
- Conduct studies and prepare reports on project cost projections and potential cost-saving projects
- Prepares capital expenditure documentation and justification
- Act as a liaison with third party service providers for oil, vibration, and thermography
- Maintains equipment register; adds, subtracts, change standard jobs and maintenance scheduling tasks
- Writes work orders and provides input to execution of work where required
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of plant-level maintenance mechanical engineering experience with mechanical systems in the petrochemical, metals, or mineral processing industry.
- Knowledge of machinery design, statistics and project management required
- Ability to work and manage within a cross functional organization
- Demonstrated equipment troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated skills with capital justification, budget development, expenditure and controls
- Strong report writing and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- High proficiency while working within the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) and utilizes its functionality to correlate the data for reliability analysis
- Experience in predictive technologies such as NDE/NDT, oil analysis, vibration analysis, thermography, ultrasonics, and motor circuit analysis
- Domestic as required
- To Cleveland-based headquarters and Michigan / Minnesota-based operational sites, as required.
- Up to 10% estimated, will vary as work load dictates.
- Can be sedentary for long periods of time
- Occasionally lifting up to 25lbs
- Mobility required. Must be able to handle stairs and long periods of work on your feet
- Routinely exposed to plant environment including noise, dust, dirt and vibrations, extreme climate changes / changes in weather
- Ability to work at heights