Summary of Principle Functions
Reporting to the Director of Enterprise Services, the Manager Network and Communication Services provides strategic vision and architectural guidance on the design formulation, integration, maintenance, and life cycle management of all enterprise network infrastructure and telecommunication solutions and services.
This position is responsible for coordinating the configuration, installation, optimization, and daily operation of the network, wireless, and telecommunication components that comprise the enterprise infrastructure. The manager is also responsible for setting and meeting performance SLA’s and ensuring that the appropriate monitoring tools and metrics are in place to measure and meet standards.
The manager will evaluate new technologies, propose new services and solutions, and guarantee the timely refresh of existing hardware and software. The manager also formulates business cases, provides budgetary guidance, and works with project management and associated teams to ensure the successful implementation of projects.
This position is responsible for engaging in vendor negotiations and maintaining key relationships. The manager develops yearly capital and expense budgets and is responsible for the adherence to those budgets.
The manager is accountable for the creation of training and development plans for all direct reports. Strong leadership, coaching and mentoring skills are a prerequisite.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Performs strategic planning, evaluation, certification, and sets direction for all networking (wired and wireless) and telecommunications infrastructures, as well as the associated software.
- Estimates and budgets projects.
- Shares knowledge and develops skills of team members through coaching and feedback.
- Supports configuration, performance tuning, capacity planning, problem resolution, and user support functions for applications and systems.
- Designs, implements and supports wireless technologies in office and mine environments, while adhering to security standards.
- Effectively able to diagnose and troubleshoot network and telecommunications issues.
- Initiates and maintains contact with vendor representatives for technical support, maintenance, upgrades, and availability requirements.
- Acquires and maintains knowledge of current Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. standards, policies, procedures and audit requirements. Communicates with intra and inter-department team members as required, as well as members of technical and project management teams. Fulfills administrative and technical leadership duties as required.
- Takes a leadership role in projects/initiatives and works within the established PMO framework.
- Manages the efficient integration of enterprise LANs, WANs, wireless LANs, and Internet circuits.
- Manages and ensures the optimal operation of all network equipment including: routers, switches, firewalls, hubs, UPSs, etc.
- Analyzes, designs, and implements cost-effective solutions to complex business problems according to user specifications.
- Monitors and identifies capacity and performance issues to ensure continued, uninterrupted operation of systems.
- Modifies and optimizes network and telecommunications systems to accommodate additional service needs or required changes.
- Works with business partners to establish service level agreements based on user requirements.
- Effectively allocates resources (technology and personnel) based on requirements, available capacity, and future growth.
- Conducts testing and development of disaster recovery plans to detect faults, minimize malfunctions, and ensure recovery using back-up systems.
- Administers all contracts for network and telecommunications equipment and services.
- Prepares budget recommendations, analyzes invoices, performs usage audits and makes cost saving recommendations.
- Manages and provides on-going guidance to develop members of the team.
- Performs additional duties as directed by the Director of Enterprise Services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or an equivalent degree.
- Certification in one or more of the following areas:
- Microsoft - MCSE
- Cisco Certified Network Credentials – CCNA, CCDA, CCNP
- Manufacturing industry experience is preferred; mining experience is a plus.
- 10+ years of industry experience including network, wireless, and telecommunication system integration within a corporate IT environment. Including the following:
- TCP/IP network design, support, security and management.
- Managing and supporting enterprise-wide LANs, WANs, WLANs, VPNs, etc.
- Experience troubleshooting hardware; servers, routers, bridges, switches, hubs, NIC, etc.
- Support of Cisco based switches, routers, wireless and security devices.
- Experience managing and maintaining F5 load balancers and Palo Alto Firewalls.
- 5+ years of experience with personnel management.
- At least 3 years of experience designing and maintaining wide area file acceleration systems (Riverbed Steelhead is preferred).
- 3-5 years of experience designing and maintaining VOIP technology (preferably Cisco Unity) and mobility management systems.
- Proven experience documenting systems configurations, processes and procedures.
- Ability to communicate with and understand the needs of non-technical constituents, both internal and external.
- Hands-on experience with the configuration and support of Apple mobile devices (iPhone/iPad), including mobile device management solutions.
- Experience supporting video conferencing.
- Working technical knowledge of current Internet and network protocols, operating systems, and standards.
- Fundamental understanding of information technology, mobile technology and related platforms.
- Hands-on implementation experience leading and/or delivering medium to large telecommunication projects.
- Knowledge of cabling and wiring systems, design, installation and troubleshooting.
- Ability to research, prepare, and present cost estimates, budget reports, capacity forecasting, and systems upgrade recommendations.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and procedure manuals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, oral communication skills, and proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Willingness and ability to commute between Cleveland and Canton on an as needed basis.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Successful candidate must be detail oriented, well organized, assertive, and be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding presentation skill to other team members and to management team.
- Leadership and strong interpersonal skills; results-driven, team player
- Creative problem solving and analytical skills,
- Candidates should be highly motivated and willing to learn new practices as required.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with customers, peers and management.