About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
The Senior Operator is responsible for monitoring, maintaining, and operating various equipment across the site on a rotating shift basis. This role is responsible for one or multiple areas including the furnace, briquetting, water treatment, and materials loading and unloading. This role interacts with the control room, maintenance, engineering, and contractors related to the effective operations of the site
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Ensure adherence to safety standards and maintain equipment and surrounding areas in good condition to sustain its uninterrupted operation.
- Operate equipment including, but not limited to – conveyor belts, pumps, air blowers, compressors, scrubbers, dust collectors, briquetters, stackers, reclaimers, rail loadout, reagent systems, clarifiers, thickeners, pipelines, water treatment plant, overhead crane, and various pieces of mobile equipment such as front end loaders, skid steer, and forklifts.
- Recognize and coach others on upset conditions, determine cause and then take the appropriate corrective action.
- Identify operating irregularities, troubleshoot, and correct equipment performance or sufficiently relay details to craft, control room, and supervisory personnel.
- Collect process and cargo samples for laboratory analysis.
- Perform safe isolation of operating equipment from energy sources such that maintenance activities can take place.
- Perform minor maintenance where trained, such as, replace idlers, scrapers and skirting, replace auto lubricators and lubricate equipment, adjust pump packing, chute repairs, minor plumbing, cutting and welding, field temperature checks.
- Assist Mechanical and Electrical maintenance personnel where required.
- Accurately follow procedures, record data, create required reports, and provide timely feedback of field process conditions to control room and supervisor.
- Provide written and/or verbal turnover information to oncoming crew members.
- Reasonable aptitude and experience with adjusting machinery as well as articulating problems to maintenance crew.
- Train and acquaint entry level operators within different areas in the plant and mobile plant equipment.
- Assist in the direction of operators and fill in as Supervisor where required.
- Train as and fill in as the Control Room Operator as needed.
- High school diploma or GED
- 2-year degree from an accredited vocational/technical school preferred
- 10+ years related operating experience in an industrial environment
- Basic mechanical maintenance experience
- Previous experience in a control room preferred
- Skid steer, front end loader, forklift operational knowledge preferred
- Team player with the ability to work collaboratively
- Positive, high energy, and self-motivated
- Ability to multitask, perform under stressful conditions, and respond and adapt in changing conditions
- The ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to read and comprehend equipment manuals and procedures
- Ability to write and correct operational procedures
- Proficient on computers including Microsoft Office suite of programs, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- Mobility required. Must be able to handle stairs and long periods of work on your feet
- Routinely exposed to plant environment including noise, dust, dirt and vibrations, extreme climate changes / changes in weather
- Occasionally lifting up to 50lbs
- Ability to work at heights
- Availability as needed to work on both a scheduled and call-out basis, and the ability to work at the assigned job site
- Willing to work shift work and assist in other areas of department or site as needed