About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
The Instrumentation and Controls Technician will provide electrical, instrumentation and controls support to fixed plant assets. This position will apply instrumentation and controls knowledge in the identification and resolution of technical problems on a wide range of electrical equipment.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Report any unsafe condition or situation that would compromise the integrity of any equipment.
- Inspect and keep tools and work area in clean, orderly, and safe condition.
- Install, calibrate, and troubleshoot electrical or instrument devices including pressure, flow, level temperature, and density transmitters, PLC/DCS hardware, software, and controls.
- Support a wide range of communication protocols, networks, and radio telemetry including ethernet I/O, device level rings, ethernet radios, serial radios, modbus and OPC.
- Receive verbal and/or written instructions from Supervision in the form of work orders, permits to work, hot work, confined space, and isolation procedures to safely complete work, including paper work and feedback to Supervision on execution of tasks.
- Maintain scheduled preventative maintenance programs on instrumentation and electrical equipment.
- Read and interpret electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic, and instrumentation drawings, schematics, and technical manuals.
- Maintain and record accurate records with relation to shut down and safety critical checks.
- Maintain all required documentation for process safety management.
- Be willing and interested in learning additional skills beyond traditional electrical and instrumentation skills to become a cross-functional crafts-person.
- Plan work procedures and layout work.
- Understand consequences of equipment failure and repair errors. Participate in defect elimination and continuous improvement processes.
- Assist electrical, mechanical, and operating personnel to efficiently maintain and operate the plant.
- Associates Degree in engineering or related field. May consider equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years of plant-level experience in Electrical and Instrumentation devices, preferably with electrical control systems in the petrochemical, metals, or mineral processing industry
- Experience in maintenance and troubleshooting of advanced controls systems (DCS, PLC, LCI, VFD/Soft Start)
- Understanding of one line diagrams, schematics, logic drawings, engineering documents, technical and reference materials required
- Understanding of PLC Programming including ladder logic, function block, and structured text
- Understanding of various networks and protocols
- Understanding of Industry Specific Standards such as NEC, API, and DOT standards
- Strong report writing and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Possess knowledge of current controls practices, procedures standards, and equipment
- Familiar with a variety of process control concepts
- Wiring techniques
- Ability to safely use hand held tools
- Occasionally lifting up to 25lbs
- Mobility required. Must be able to handle stairs and long periods of work on your feet
- Routinely exposed to plant environment including noise, dust, dirt and vibrations, extreme climate changes / changes in weather
- Work at heights
- Willing to work shift work and assist in other areas of department or site as needed