About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
The Control Room Operator is responsible for monitoring and optimizing the production of HBI through the centralized distributed control system on a rotating shift basis. The Control Room Operator oversees the delivery and reclaim of oxide material through the furnace, briquetters, and the disposition of finished product to stockpile including all ancillary equipment. This role interacts with operations, maintenance, engineering, and contractors related to the effective operations of the site.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Oversee, monitor, control, and optimize the processes of the site through remote control of equipment and communication with field personnel.
- Assess and interpret all standard displays including process graphics, maintenance alarm summary, and system diagnostics.
- Start, stop, and make compensating changes to equipment following standardized procedures determined from panel readings, field information, laboratory reports, alarm systems, or supervisory and engineering instruction.
- Responsible for effectively communicating with field personnel to coordinate the starting, stopping, operation, and changing of plant operating conditions.
- Notify field personnel, supervision, and engineering staff as appropriate of operating irregularities.
- Accurately follow procedures, record data, create required reports, and provide timely feedback to Supervisor and/or Engineering personnel.
- Maintain a log and provide hand over information of process conditions on a routine basis, accurately capturing process delay and curtailment information.
- Act as first point of call for external key service providers in relation to utility services of electricity, water, gas, nitrogen, and oxide.
- Direct site operators in the performance of assigned work functions via radio.
- Train Senior Operators, Engineers, and Supervisors within the control system to ensure adequate coverage and continuity of operation.
- High School diploma or GED
- 2-year degree from an accredited vocational/technical school preferred
- Proficient math skill necessary to fill this job
- 15+ years related experience.
- Previous experience in a control room preferably in steel, hydrocarbon, mining, or similar industry
- Team player with the ability to work collaboratively
- Positive, high energy, and self-motivated.
- Understands the operational mode of a controller – manual, automatic, cascade, setpoint of process variable, controller output, etc.
- Ability to multitask, perform under stressful conditions, and respond and adapt in changing conditions
- The ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to read and comprehend equipment manuals and procedures
- Ability to write and correct operational procedures
- High level of proficiency of computers including Microsoft Office suite of programs, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- Occasionally lifting up to 25lbs
- Mobility required on occasion. Must be able to handle stairs.
- Occasionally exposed to plant environment including noise, dust, dirt and vibrations, extreme climate changes / changes in weather
- Ability to work at heights
- Availability as needed to work on both a scheduled and call-out basis, and the ability to work at the assigned job site.
- Willing to work shift work and assist in other areas of department or site as needed.